Jan 22, 2009

Name: Aguarin Iriarte
Village: Yigo, Guam
Family size:  4
School and area of study: University of Guam, Anthropology Major
In my family, I am known as the: The outgoing, overdramatic dreamer
My favorite non-academic activity: Shopping
I am really good at: Interacting with people
My career path: Forensic/Cultural Anthropologist
How did you become aware of the Micronesia Challenge Young Champions:

Through a family member who is really active and passionate about Guam’s environment.
As a Young Champion, what do you hope to achieve: As a Young Champion, I am going to reach out and educate my peers about what exactly the Micronesia Challenge is about and what they can do as residents of the island to contribute to not only our overall goal for the Challenge, but as people who have a stake in the island's future.
How have you noticed your village and island has changed in terms of the environment and sea?
In my respective village of Yigo, the largest problem environmentally would have to be the destruction of natural habitat for native plants and animals for large-scale residential construction and the increase in militarization not only in the village, but on the entire island as well.
Are you working on any special projects: Not yet.  Looking forward to, though!
By 2020, I hope that: We all can see an increase in the amount of people who will become much more active and engaged citizens in efforts to not only preserve our environment, but our identity as well because both are necessary in order to have a sustainable Guam.